Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Platinum Garden: Vol. 5

by Maki Fujita

Synopsis
Kazura and Mizuki's "relationship" is on shaky ground in this latest volume of Maki Fujita's shojo fling.... After forcing Kazura to move back home with her family, an embarrassed Mizuki finally asks her to live with him again. Just when things seem like they're back to "normal," she's tricked in a secret meeting with the Magahara family monarch, who shocks Kazura with a very disturbing question. How will Kazura respond?

Review
I expected more from this volume. Not much really happens, I guess. Kazura decides to go ask Mizuki if she can live with him again, rather than mope around, which is nice, I guess. What I really want to say is that I wish there was more between them. I'm really getting tired of people saying how good they are together, how Kazura's on Mizuki's side, and that Mizuki really does like her, but doesn't say it. I mean, it's supposed to be a romance, for god's sake, can I have some romance, please? Please show me something! I don't even care if Mizuki is a jerk to everyone else, but is nice to Kazura, that would be enough for me. Or am I supposed to interpret Mizuki's insults and threats as "his way of showing love"? If so, I don't buy it at all. I guess I could say that since he always rescues Kazura, or comes running when she's hurt, that he does care about her.... Maybe. Maybe I just want more.

There's some filler stories about Kazura's rival, Shizuku, planning more nefarious problems for Kazura, and another about some upperclassman who's unhappy with himself, so Kazura takes it upon herself to try and help him. I could take these better if there was some development for Kazura and Mizuki, so I'm probably a bit embittered right now.

Then there's some cliffhanger at the end. I hope it means we get back to some development!

Final thought: I'll keep reading.

No comments: