Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bride of the Water God: Vol. 2

by Mi-Kyung Yun

Synopsis
Habaek, the mysterious Water God, is cursed to live in the form of a little boy during the day -- while he turns back to his true adult self at night. His new human bride, Soah, thinks that she's been married to a child and has no idea that the attractive "Mui" is actually the indecisive adult Habaek. Surrounded by a cast of colorful elemental gods and their servants, Soah is tempted by flirtations from both "Mui" and the rascal Huye. Things get even more complicated after Tae-eul-jin-in spills a surprising secret, and Soah audaciously plots to uncover the truth for herself. She has to be careful, though, so she doesn't anger the moody gods -- including her powerful and unpredictable husband!

Review
I felt ... empty after I read this book. It's so slow and dreamy, and hard to follow. I'm wondering why I'm supposed to care about these characters. More and more, it's starting to feel like the whole "secret" about Habaek is some kind of contrivance to keep interesting things from happening. I guess I'm supposed to think that Soah being confused about Habaek and Mui is supposed to be interesting, but since I already know that they're the same person, I'm just sitting here waiting for her to catch up! I mean, the story hints several times that they're the same person, but what, is Soah too stupid to figure it out?

I still don't know Habaek's motivations for anything, nor do I even know why I should care at this point. The author's narrative is so loose, I feel like the story just wanders without really ever going anywhere. There's not much development, there's not much in the way of conflict, so what is supposed to keep me interested? I don't know if it's going to get better. I might give the next book another chance (if it ever comes out).

Final thought: Not much hope, but will read the next book.

No comments: