Monday, January 12, 2009

Platinum Garden: Vol. 3

by Maki Fujita

Synopsis
Maki Fujita's romantic shojo romp continues.... As the school-wide chase for Kazura ends, the truth behind why student council president Shizuku Magahara orchestrated this madness is finally revealed. With this secret out and finally behind them, Kazura and Shizuku begin to bond. Later, the group has a getaway at a remote cottage -- where things become a bit too cozy!

Review
The most interesting part of this volume was how things subtly change, such as Kazura's feelings towards Mizuki. I think it starts when Shizuku offers to give Kazura money, presumably as a bribe, but I also saw it as a way that Kazura could have paid off the debt and left. She refuses, and the story changes from one of obligation to one of choice. Kazura has now chosen to stay with Mizuki. This also changes her opinion of him, as she sees more of him with his family, she sees how he puts on the "fake" face for them too. She realizes that he's not fake, he does it to protect himself, and she soon realizes that she's one of the only people who can be on his side. I noticed that after this she doesn't say, "I hate him" or "He's so fake" anymore.

Mizuki is developed some more in this volume, such as how he grew up, and things his family did to him. It also seems like he's not the only one with unusual powers in the family. There's a little more time given to the couple, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

This volume really changed my opinion of this series. I liked it before, but now I take it a lot more seriously. I can only hope that it continues to stay this good, or even get better as it goes on.

Final thought: I have to get the next volume!

No comments: