Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dokebi Bride: Vol. 5

by Marley

Synopsis
As the fifth installment of this gritty supernatural fantasy opens, the misunderstandings between Sunbi and her family reach a breaking point, and she takes to the streets. All alone in the big city for the first time, Sunbi finds what just might be a new home among a community of fellow runaways. But evil can assume many forms, and soon the young girl is up against an all-too-human monster who's as scary as the dokebis she knows from the spirit world -- AND the terrifying ghost of his sister! A fantastic foray into a very real darkness, the latest Dokebi Bride is the most powerful chapter yet in a series unlike any other.

Review
I honestly have no idea where this series is going. I thought I knew, at the end of the third book. I assumed Sunbi was going to have her dokebi friend Gwangsoo help her become a Shaman, and she could work through many things that bothered her. But it seems not to be. Sunbi is still a bitch to everyone around her, and I'm starting to get very tired of it. She has no appreciation, no kindness, nothing, for anyone. She never even smiles. If she's going to grow out of it, I wish she would just do it already. It seems like she's had enough impetus to do so, but no, she remains immature and selfish.

The story, especially as described in the synopsis is mostly what this volume is about. It's not that exciting; honestly, it feels like filler to me. The most interesting part -- the confrontation between Gwangsoo and some houseguest who moved in after Sunbi left, is barely given a few pages, and I most certainly wanted to know more about whatever was going on there. Oh, and of course, she left without telling Gwangsoo where she was going, and she left her ring behind. I shouldn't be surprised, but really, how thoughtless. It's her typical behavior, though. I really don't like to see her hurt people. It makes me like her less as a character.

I'm holding out hope that it gets better and actually goes somewhere. It seems like it has a lot of potential.

Final thought: I'll read the next book.

No comments: