Friday, January 16, 2009

Emma: Vol. 2

by Kaoru Mori

Synopsis
London's elite society places great importance on class differences, unlike William Jones. He regards Emma as a beautiful, charming young woman, and not merely a servant. After their first real date, things seem to be going in a positive direction for them. But the leisurely pace of the growing relationship between them ends suddenly when disaster strikes at home.

Review
There's nothing really wrong with this series, and yet, I don't quite believe in it. I think that it's because the author never really goes to the length to "show" the audience exactly how and why the characters care about each other. Sure, the two go on a date to the Crystal Palace (and even kiss), but very little of their conversations are shown, which could have been used as an opportunity to show the characters connecting with each other. As it is, it's just like a relationship of an acquaintance, where I never know the details. However, a romance is not supposed to be like that. I shouldn't have to say this, but a romance is supposed to be about the two characters, showing little intimate details that you don't normally see, showing the relationship's ups and downs, and showing the characters grow and change and become close to one another. But there isn't really any of this so far. We're just told Emma and William love each other, and maybe want to get married. I have no idea why, or what they see in each other. It feels really empty, for a romance.

Emma gets developed more in this book, and though her past was really harsh and awful, it doesn't really feel like the two are the same person. What I mean is, the adult Emma doesn't seem like the kind of person who came from that kind of background. She's too happy and naive.

What's also shown is William interacting with Eleanor. In fact, I think their relationship is more developed than William and Emma's! I have a bad feeling, as Eleanor is actually quite likable, and I would hate to see her cast aside later on just because she gets in the way. I know that's how it's going to be, though.

Final thought: It's tolerable, so I'll keep reading.

No comments: