Wednesday, November 12, 2008

MeruPuri: Vol.1

by Matsuri Hino

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
All high school freshman Airi Hoshina ever wanted was to someday live in a cozy home with a loving husband, and find joy in the little things in life. As a result, she makes it her daily mission to get to school on time because school legend has it that the longer one's non-tardy streak is, the better boyfriend on will find. But just when her daily routine is working like clockwork, an occurrence of fairytale proportions threatens to disrupt her grand plan.

One the way to school one morning, Airi loses her mirror -- one that had been passed down to her through generations -- and suddenly finds herself in a bizarre situation. Never in her wildest dreams did she expect Aram, a little boy from a magical kingdom, to have emerged from the mirror in the short time it took her to track it down!

Review
This is not a serious series at all. That didn't bother me, though. I found that if I just let go and let it play itself out, it's actually pretty charming.

The story begins with Aram's brother, Jeile, casting a curse on him, to the point where Aram has to escape, and comes out through Airi's mirror. She takes him in, he's a cute little kid, after all, only to discover that he grows older at night. Apparently the curse was supposed to render him old and his magic ineffectual. One might question why a brother would do this, but then, the story doesn't really make much sense if you think about it too much anyway. They hate each other, that's all there is to it.

One thought does enter my mind: Airi treats Aram like a child when he is one, such as bathing with him, and sleeping in the same bed, but when he's a teenager, she doesn't continue to treat him that way -- she treats him like a teenager, with all the same hormones, etc. She even goes to the point of getting embarrassed about certain situations. I personally don't get this. Regardless of what he's like on the outside, his maturity is still that of a child. Whatever. Of course, funny things are supposed to happen when Aram becomes a teenager, though the hitting people just doesn't do it for me. I'm sorry, physical violence is just not funny. Fortunately, there isn't a whole lot of it.

Silly hijinks ensue, and more characters are introduced, leading to a reverse harem. None of it is terribly serious though. I suppose more will be explained in later volumes. And at four volumes, it's pretty short for a series. Enough to make me pick up the rest just to see. It's cute, just let go and have fun, I think.

Personally, I love the artist's artwork. I think it's very gorgeous, and I plan to read more of her series. I have started Vampire Knight, but sorry, it won't be featured here. (It's too popular.)

Final thought: I'll get the next book to see what happens.

No comments: