Thursday, November 13, 2008

Emma: Vol. 1

by Kaoru Mori

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
An upstairs gentleman and a downstairs servant share a secret love.

The saga begins. In Victorian England, a young girl named Emma is rescued from a life of destitution and raised to become a proper British maid. When she meets William, the eldest son of a wealthy family, their love seems destined. But in this world, even matters of the heart are ruled by class distinctions.

Review
I'm not sure there's much to say about this volume. Everything flows about how you would expect that it would. A chance enounter between William and Emma gives rise to a secret affection. I hesitate to say love, because they don't know each other well enough yet. All I would predict is that they're attracted to each other and would like to get to know each other. Anyway, there is clearly trouble ahead, even without the class distinctions. William's father is clearly set in his ways (the old fuddy-duddy ways), and already has plans for whom William will marry. William, on the other hand, while he seems to have his own mind, is not really the type to stand up for himself. He just lets people do and say things about him. Perhaps that's how a "proper gentleman" acts.

Emma is less developed. We learn that she was taken in, and turned into a maid, but that's about it. She silently observes things around her, so it's really hard to know exactly what she's thinking. That's rather unfortunate, seeing as she's the main character. I hope this trend doesn't continue.

The artwork is pretty nice. I was put off by the character designs at first. It's the faces. But I'm not complaining; it did grow on me. Supposedly Emma is supposed to be beautiful and gets a lot of marriage proposals. I just don't believe it. I think she's rather plain, myself. Of course, I don't care for maids or glasses, either.

Regardless, this could be interesting to see where it goes. It's too early to judge right now.

Final thought: I'll pick up the next book.

No comments: