Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Key to the Kingdom: Vol. 1

(aka Oukoku no Kagi)
by Kyoko Shitou

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
After the king and his eldest son die, the kingdom of Landor is left without a ruler. Asta -- last surviving member of the royal family -- stands in line for the throne. However, before he can claim it, he must fulfill a quest: find the legendary "Key to the Kingdom." Both ancient beasts and a variety of contenders -- including a princess, a dimwitted military captain, and a villainous aristocrat -- imperil his journey. Someone will find the Key, but will it be Asta?


Review

What the synopsis doesn't mention is that Asta is more interested in books than swords, and he actually doesn't want to be king. (What really bothers me is that his mother, the Queen, is still alive, but they didn't make her the regent, since Asta is still too young to rule. I know, I know, it gets in the way of the story the author wanted to do.)

Anyway, I wasn't really impressed by the story right away, especially with the "find the magical object" quest. But then, as the story went on, it got more interesting. It might have something to do with things like dragons, mysterious characters, and mysteries being introduced. Not that those things alone will make me like a story, but they can pique my interest.

I'm not sure what I think of the main character, Asta, yet. He's selfish and arrogant, but I wonder if this might change later on. It's just that he has no experience with the outside world yet. I hope he grows and matures as the series goes on.

It's really to early to say much about this series. I'm definitely going to have to pick up some more books when I get the chance.

Final thought: I'll pick up the next book.

No comments: