Monday, November 17, 2008

The Good Witch of the West: Vol. 1

(aka Nishi no Yoki Majo)
Story by Noriko Ogiwara
Art by Haruhiko Momokawa

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
Fifteen-year-old Firiel lives in the remote highlands with her father, a recluse obsessed with astronomy. Yet, life is more than pleasant for Firiel -- her father's servants adore her, his kindly apprentice Rune is her best friend, and she's about to attend the Count's ball! But as Firiel prepares for the gala, she discovers her past is more complicated than she had thought -- and she may be the heir to the throne! Unaware of the danger that faces her and all she loves, Firiel begins a courageous quest for the truth.

In this unique, evocative Cinderella story, heritage and destiny converge to change a young girl's life forever!

Review
I didn't really like this book at first, but after I reread it, it grew on me. It is a typical fairy tale story, full of things like fate and magic.

The main character, Firiel, thinks she's a country girl, but soon discovers that she actually has a royal lineage. The way the book reads, though, it seems like she's someone who could change the world, or end it, depending on which interpretation you believe. It's not her being chased down, though, it's her father and his apprentice, for their heretical astrological work.

It's really hard to say much, because there's many little threads that may go somewhere, but they don't go very far yet. It's an interesting beginning, though, it's made me more interested in reading the novel. I've read Ogiwara's books before, and I love her work.

Firiel is likable enough, I suppose, though she's a bit too spunky for my taste. Heroines always have to be, I suppose, to keep their cheerful innocence after really bad things happen to them. Cliche.

Rune is okay, too. He seems to have some dark secret in his past that even he can't remember. That and he's really good with numbers, but not a savant. That's extremely unusual, I think.

I don't mind the art in the book, but sometimes, the panels are so dark, it's really hard to tell what's going on in them. I have to stare at it, just to make it out. I don't know whose fault that is, but it makes the book harder to read. I remember, too, the first time I read it, events jumped between panels in such a way that I got confused about what happened. It doesn't always flow easily, which is unfortunate.

Final thought: I think I'd rather read the novel.

No comments: