Monday, December 15, 2008

Yurara: Vol. 1

(aka Yurara no Tsuki, Yurara's Moon)
by Chika Shiomi

Synopsis
There are two sides to every ghost story....
Yurara Tsukinowa is a quiet girl who can see spirits and sense their emotions. Not wanting to seem abnormal, she hides her secret until she meets Mei Tendo and Yako Hoshino, two guys who use their spiritual powers to ward off vengeful spirits. The dormant guardian spirit in Yurara arises and a strong-willed beauty with the power to release souls emerges!

On Yurara's first day of high school, she finds her assigned seat is occupied -- by a ghost! Mei and Yako cannot banish the spirit, and Yurara's other self is released....

Review
Basically, this is another magical girl type of story. At present, it seems a bit like monster of the week, as there's always a new spirit to help in each chapter. This may change, I don't know. It's also very goofy, and is not serious at all. And it's not a good kind of funny, it's the typical slapstick Japanese comedy I've come to loathe. This is really too bad.

I've noticed that the guardian spirit character definitely overshadows Yurara. She's far more serious and interesting, and I think it's too bad that she isn't the main character. I think Yurara herself is an afterthought. It seems like the two guys think highly of the guardian spirit too, as they start developing crushes on her, which will likely lead to fighting over her.

It has an interesting premise but I have no idea where this might go, or if I'm even interested enough to find out. Not that I regret reading this book, but it didn't really grab me. In fact, I feel like I've seen this somewhere before. Oh yeah, Dokebi Bride, which was far more interesting and written far better.

Final thought: Maybe if I can't find anything else to read....

No comments: