Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Missing White Dragon

by Park Young Ha

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
Come and enter the world of Asian folk tales and Asian urban tales.... All with a romantic twist!

Review
This book has five short stories in it, some fantasy, some modern, some non-asian. I usually don't like short stories, but these were well-done and interesting. They tend to be funny and goofy, which can be annoying to me at times, but it was forgivable.

The first story, the title story, has to do with an arranged marriage between a human and a demon; the second story, Hannya, deals with a gifted doctor, who has nightmares, who has an unlikely savior who looks like her dead brother; the third story, Dispel Magic, is about two childhood friends, one of whom is practicing magic, but her friend turns her into a half-dog; the fourth, the Romance of the Crying Thunder Sword, has to do with a girl who steals the family sword, because it was going to be sold, and meets a mysterious man; and the fifth, A Magician's Proposal, is about a fairy and her magician master who seems to want to marry rich women.

Some stories are better than others. I particularly liked Romance of the Crying Thunder Sword because many of the unrelated events come to have meaning and significance at the end. I would have liked to see this turned into a longer story. All of the stories were interesting and enjoyable, and I'm glad I read this book. I think I'd like to read more of the author's work.

Final thought: Good enough to own.

No comments: