Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fairy Cube: Vol. 1

(aka, Yousei Hyouhon, Fairy Specimen)
by Kaori Yuki

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
Ian and Rin used to just see spirits. Now Ian is one. Using the Fairy Cube, Ian must figure out how to stop the lizard-spirit Tokage from taking over his life and destroying any chance he has of resurrection.

Rebirth
Ian is transported to another world by the fairy Ainsel, who promises to help him stop Tokage upon their return to the human plane.


Review
That's a rather useless synopsis. What is should read is: Ian can see the fairy world, but no one believes him, even to the point that they call him "Ian the liar." Rin is the only person who would believe him, and because of her belief, he can help her and others see the things he can. Ian also has an "other" attached to him, Tokage, who has green hair and red eyes. Tokage is jealous of what Ian has, and plots to take it away from him.

Anyway, the point is, he succeeds, and now Ian has to get his body back before Tokage destroys the world. This story is really interesting, and I'm really curious to see where it goes. There's nothing that really irritates me about it, which is nice for a change. Ainsel has her irritating moments though. She's a little too bitchy for my taste. It's pretty cliche, actually, and I tire of the bitchy woman cliche.

What's not explained is Tokage's motivations for everything. I can understand that he was jealous and wanted a life of his own, where he could interact with the world, but it seems that he wants to go farther than that. It better not be that he's evil for evil's sake. I will hate it for that.

One little remark about the layouts. I found myself getting really lost in the beginning, about who was talking, and what it was in relation to. I think it's because the author isn't always that great about separating one scene from another, so in my mind, they bleed together. Once I got farther in the book, it wasn't nearly such a problem, and in re-reading it, the beginning was a lot clearer.

It seems like the story is really building towards something, and I really want to find out what's going to happen!

Final thought: I have to get the next book.

No comments: