Friday, December 12, 2008

Seimaden: Vol. 1

by Higuri You

Synopsis(from the back of the book)
Two men battle for the soul of the woman they have lost. Can one man sacrifice everything for love? Centuries ago, Laures agreed to become a demon to rescue his one true love from evil -- only to find that the only way to save her was through death. Laures has waited centuries for her spirit to be reborn to reclaim their love. But now that she is reincarnated, can she possibly accept the love of a creature of the underworld?

Review
The synopsis doesn't really match what happens in the story, but I wonder if they have extra information or something. That's what made me interested in reading it, but in reality, it's more like the story of a girl who has lost her memory, yet has two men, possibly ex-lovers fighting to get her back. One is the prince of darkness, Laures, and the other, the last of the Azelle (presumably people with the power of light), Roddrick.

This volume doesn't explain much at all, and all we really learn is who the major players are. I really have no idea who to like or root for, because I don't know enough about any of them. The woman, Hilda, is a little different than typical heroines, it seems that she can stand up for herself some of the time, at least. There's nothing particularly likable about her, though, so I wonder what the men see in her. Oh yeah, she's pretty and she's a dancer. Maybe that's it.

This seems like a really serious manga to me. So why, during some moments do we still have to have the whole SD thing again? An example: in one part, Laures steals a kiss from Hilda, so she punches him. It shows her holding her fist, and she's drawn SD. Is hitting people funnier if you're short and cute? Would it be too much if they looked normal? I don't get it, and I think it's weird, particularly because the author doesn't do SD much.

So, if I want to know more about what's going on, I guess I have to read more.

Final thought: I'll pick up the next book.

No comments: