Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Key to the Kingdom: Vol. 3

by Kyoko Shitou

Synopsis
The competitors search for "The Invisible Tower," and elusive location containing an important clue about the quest. A new competitor enters the ring: Fairheart, a man who is seemingly impervious to the flames of the Dragon Men. He welcomes Prince Asta and his protector Badd to his castle. There he shares with Asta his knowledge of a family secret he learned from Asta's father -- the late King of Landor -- just before he died.

Review
Well, all I can say is there is a lot more going on here than the story is letting on. Of course, new evidence right at the end of the volume (before the side story anyway), changes everything about some characters, and has me questioning everything they said and did before. This story is very interesting, and is far deeper than the succession worries that it started out as.

Unfortunately, just as the story was getting interesting, it ended, and there was a side story in what should have been another chapter's place. I didn't mind the side story, and it was very interesting in it's own right (and made me feel bad that Prince Winslott had to die, he seemed very nice), but I wanted to know more about what was going on! Now I have to read the next book.

I like how the characters are developing, too. Asta is becoming more mature and responsible, which I like. Lettie, is showing herself to be a bit power-hungry, to fulfill her dreams, which seem rather childish, to me. However, this would make sense because she is a child. I hope she gets more developed, and is shown that blindly and heedlessly pursuing your dreams can be harmful to yourself and others.

I really like this series, but I hope it doesn't let me down like other series I've gotten my hopes up over.

Final thought: I have to read the next book!

No comments: