Monday, February 2, 2009

The Key to the Kingdom: Vol. 2

by Kyoko Shitou

Synopsis
A shadow falls across the quest for the legendary "Key" when a mystic prophesies that anyone who seeks it will be slain by a Dragon Man. Prince Asta and his ally Badd arrive in a town at the same time as Gaius, the heart-eating Dragon Man. Is he an ally or the one foretold in the prophecy? Then a feverish Asta has a dream in which the origin of the struggle for power at the heart of the "Key" is revealed.

Review
This is a surprisingly good series. I didn't think much of it at first, but the way the story just flows naturally, interesting things happen, and characters develop. The main character, Asta, is clearly at the point in his life where he begins to figure out what kind of person he wants to be, and is dissatisfied with how he is now. Although, perhaps this search for the key isn't progressing quite as quickly as I would like, but I figure they'll get around to it, and the story is interesting enough that I'm not really worried about it at all. And yet, I'm not really sure what's all that interesting. There's a lot of intrigue with this Dragon Man, Gaius, and hinting that another Dragon Man is out to kill those searching for the key, and why the key is cursed, and so forth. Not much really happens in this volume, and yet it's interesting all the same.

I didn't really talk about the art style before, but it is gorgeous. It's looks old-school (and I love old-school), but it's really only a few years old. I usually don't like to talk about art because people can't always help their "style." But it is a treat to look at this manga.

Final thought: I'll keep collecting this series.

No comments: