Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dokebi Bride: Vol. 6

by Marley

Synopsis
Alone and abandoned, Sunbi flees Seoul for the coast in an attempt to reconnect with her past. When she accidentally leaves the train at the wrong stop, she finds herself stranded in a tiny rural village where she encounters a woman full of resentment toward her elderly and decrepit mother. Still plagued by vague, haunting memories of her own mother, Sunbi must find a way to free the woman from the past that torments her -- and, in doing so, comes face-to-face with her own demons? Meanwhile, Sunbi's dokebi "husband" Gwangsoo searches for his beloved everywhere, so desperate that he even agrees to join forces with a mysterious stranger who also claims to be Sunbi's groom! Their hunt culminates in a supernatural reunion that raises even more questions about our heroine and her fateful destiny.

Review
I still don't know where this is going. Apparently Sunbi has some sort of destiny, which might explain why she can see supernatural spirits, and has been tormented by them her whole life. But then comes this interloper. I'm sure the author doesn't see him that way, but I sure do. He was introduced in the last volume, and now has some sort of connection with Sunbi. I don't know what to make of him, as he feels like he was "deus ex machina-ed" in, since there's been no previous mention of him, especially if he's supposed to be important. I call him an interloper because I see him getting in the way of Sunbi and Gwangsoo's relationship (call me strange, but I prefer him). I don't really have enough information right now, so I guess we'll see where this goes.

The rest of the volume contains the story of the troubled woman and her mute, hunchbacked mother. It's an interesting story, and pretty sad, but I don't know what it had to do with Sunbi as she was just a bystander.

Final thought: I'll keep reading.

No comments: