Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sand Chronicles: Vol. 3

by Hinako Ashihara

Synopsis
Sweet 16-year-old Ann returns to rural Shimane from Tokyo for the summer, eager to reconnect with her boyfriend Daigo. But will the allure of their close friends -- wealthy brother and sister Fuji and Shika -- sunder the romantic ties that have bound Ann and Daigo since they were 12?

Review
This series continues to be interesting. It has the ups and downs and even the unsureness and insecurity that comes with being a teenager. I remember the feeling, unsure of what others felt, sure I knew the future.

I still can't say I like Ann and Daigo's relationship, but that's just my preference. She feels guilty about the kiss that Fuji gave her, thinking that it means she's cheated on Daigo. So, she does something that she thinks will make up for it, but that's the problem with being a teenager, is that you do something that feels right at the time, only to find that you regret that action later. The story gives no hints like that, I just know from experience.

So the bit about Fuji's mother having an illegitimate child is explored more in this volume, and the truth ends up being different than Fuji thought. It was his sister who was the love child, not he. But he doesn't learn that, she does. It kinda messes with her, and I really felt bad for her. Also, she discovers that she has feelings for Daigo, adding to the love triangle. It doesn't feel like a cliche though, because the author has made it feel natural, not gimmicky.

I really wonder how this story is going to end up.

Final thought: I'll read the next volume.

No comments: