Thursday, March 19, 2009

Apothecarius Argentum: Vol. 1

(aka Yakushi Arujan, Medicine Buddha Argent)
by Tomomi Yamashita

Synopsis
As a boy, Argent was a poison tester for a royal family. He developed an unusual immunity towards toxic substances, and later he became a master chemist with the ability to cure any illness. Returning to the kingdom after a long absence, he is assigned to watch over Princess Primula once again. But any relationship that might develop between the two will have its limits; Argent's very touch has itself become poisonous!

Review
I picked this up on much consideration, having continually seen it in the store, and after reading the synopsis, which sounded interesting, I reminded myself that a lot of things start out with an interesting premise yet go downhill. I just don't know about this series.

It has an interesting premise, though I feel like I've seen it before, a master herbalist who is immune to poisons, yet this also makes him "untouchable." How can he ever have a physical relationship? Does this sound like Rogue from the X-Men to anyone?

Anyway, during the convoluted beginning we find out, the princess, Primula, who acts an awful lot like a spoiled brat, once employed Argent as her food taster, since people were trying to kill her. She sent him away because she wanted him to be his own person, and she wanted to be stronger, or something like that. I don't know to remember, the author only reminds us of it every chapter thereafter. Apparently, the little we get of Argent's past is that he was created (by whom?) to be a "basilisk," which this book defines as a person who is fed small amounts on poison to make them immune to it, but also to create someone who can kill by touch. Anyway, after he left, a few years passed, and he came back because her normal healer was away when she needed him. This sets off events where he reluctantly stays in contact with her, because he's the reticent yet caring type, and they have different adventures that are mildly interesting, but not serious enough for me. I'd hoped at least one chapter would develop Argent more, but there isn't one. Also, this volume has not yet found a plot.

Later in the story, it's clear that the two, Argent and Primula, like each other, but clearly, his problem is going to be ... a problem. I have no idea how the author will resolve this, but I foresee three potential outcomes: one, he'll have to find a cure, thereby destroying his herbalism and poison immunity; two, he'll just live with it, always making sure he never touches her directly, though that could get frustrating; or three, he'll do nothing, but he'll whine about his problem a lot, claim that he can't have a relationship with her because of it, not speak to her about it, and attempt to be distant in an effort to push her away, but she'll get confused and angry, but not confront him, thereby creating a story that will drag on for many books, resulting in profit for the author. I could be wrong about all the outcomes, yes, I admit that, but I've also read enough of anything to tell you that it will likely be number three, which, if so, I will not bother with this series anymore.

I do like the use of herbs in this book, and even the tidbits of information at the back that the author gives us. It's clear that she really cares about this subject, and has researched it a lot. If you know anything about modern medicine and pharmaceuticals, you can see the roots of them in herbalism, which I find fascinating.

Final thought: I'll read more if I can't find anything else to read.

No comments: