Friday, April 10, 2009

Red River: Vol. 12

by Chie Shinohara

Synopsis
Yuri, a teen of the 21st century, has been transported to ancient Anatolia as part of a scheme by the evil Nakia, Queen of the Hitties. Only the intervention of Nakia's stepson, Prince Kail, saved Yuri from the Queen bloodthirsty intentions. As an unintended consequence, the people of the kingdoms of Anatolia are now convinced that Yuri is the incarnation of the great war-goddess Ishtar.

Kail's forces are triumphant in Alinna. Back in Hattusa, the victorious prince is declared the new king of the Hittites, even as Yuri uncovers a web of subterfuge woven by Queen Nakia that threatens the entire Hittite empire. Making matters worse, the neighboring nations of Arzawa and Ugarit have launched a two-pronged attack that compels the Hittites to field two countering forces -- one led by Kail, the other by Yuri!

Review
So it seems like any implication of Nakia in the last king's murder that was introduced in the last volume has been completely forgotten. Surprise, surprise. She's also apparently behind spying in the palace, and probably the two countries that are attacking at the same time. Something really needs to be done about her, but it won't be. As for her lackey, Urhi, they'd almost captured him, but he committed suicide by diving into a fast moving river. Except, that he didn't die, as we find out later. Yeah, right.

Most importantly, Kail is now the king. I wasn't surprised, though, history played out that way, so he had to become king. Be careful reading history books, though, you might get spoiled.

They still talk about Yuri going back to Japan. I am so sick of hearing about it. Every time I see it, it's like a knife being stabbed into my stomach, because it's so annoying and fake. Why can't they be together? How would this have changed the story?

Finally, I have to mention the reason this volume is the first to be rated with "explicit content." When I first read this book, I thought, "Finally!" ...no. I won't go into detail, but it's kinda weird, sad, and frustrating at the same time. I honestly cannot understand Yuri's reaction. I mean, I don't condone Kail's actions, but I felt like I empathized with him more. It must get frustrating to be rejected all the time. And I don't know about anyone else, but I was certainly not so frigid when I was 17. I guess it goes back to the classic "women have no sex drive" cliche. This series teases way too much.

Final thought: I dread the upcoming books.

No comments: